Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Something about Yoga


Angela Farmer & Victor van Kooten
I came to Albuquerque to go to this workshop with these three yoga teachers, all in their 70's and all trained by Iyengar. All three have rejected a strict practice in favor of an intuitive one, based on the needs of the individual body. Victor is especially funny. He usually speaks with his eyes closed, his talks are meditative and sprinkled with beautiful metaphors. Occasionally, he will crack a somewhat off-color joke, which prompts him to open his eyes wide making him look like a miscreant school boy.  Angela also seems more like a teenager than a woman in her 70's. They are truly delightful. Spending time with them has made me feel as if there is nothing I could do that would be wrong, as long as it seems right and natural to me and in my own body. I love that. There is no judgement, no pressure to be anything other than exactly who I am, no role that must be fulfilled in order to achieve a societal norm. This is the seat of true creativity, this freedom to be....just be.
I met Rama at the Texas Yoga Retreat in October. http://texasyoga.com/ I was so inspired by her dialogue of yoga as a means to achieve peace. Yesterday, we chanted freely at the end of practice, and I heard and felt the sound of love and peace.
Today is my last day in Albuquerque. It's been exactly what I needed. I am so thankful for this opportunity.
Namaste' y'all!
Rama Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment